Friday, October 24, 2014

Experimenting...

So, I have been doing some experimenting with my candles lately, more like testing them (something I should have done from the beginning). The first test was to figure out my candle's approximate burning time. I tested a regular lead-free, cotton braided, wax-coated, zinc core wick with paraffin/soy wax by first weighing it. It (meaning the glass container and wax) was about 9 ounces so I figured the candle (wax) was about 7 or 8 oz. I let it burn for 3 hours, then weighed it again and it had barely gone down at all! Maybe about .25 of an ounce or less than that, even! So I figured in the numbers to an equation and came to find that the burn time is about 85 hours for that size candle!

I then tried to test a wood wick candle that was also made of paraffin/soy wax. This one was a little tricky to do because the glass container it was in probably weighed more than the candle (came out to 16ozs, so I figured the candle was only about 8oz). Following the same routine as I did with the first candle (weighing, burning, weighing again), the burn time for this candle came out to be about 53 hours...

I was surprised at this number, as I was expecting a wood wick candle could burn longer than a standard wick, though wood wicks produce the largest flames (resembling a fire) and therefore melt the wax down quicker.  I tested it a 2nd time, this time weighing on a digital scale and it weighed 15.7oz. I let it burn for 1 hour this time. Weighed it again and it was 15.4oz after one hour, losing .3 ozs. So, I did the math once more and came out with the same answer of 53.33 hour burn time for an 8 oz wood wick candle. I still love wood wick candles, though, because they produce the best flame allowing the wax to melt down evenly, and a unique burning experience that's both a pleasure for your eyes and your ears!


No comments:

Post a Comment